[Wine]running winword under wine from an existing windows installtion

harjot jodhka harjot_jodhka at yahoo.co.in
Sun Apr 17 01:42:25 CDT 2005

Hi,
I have just built wine from source(by running
wineinstall as root). I
have two windows partitions mounted to different
directories in my
linux setup. Wine detected these during wineinstall:

Windows was found on your system, and so we can use
the Windows
Drive as our Wine drive. You may, however, wish to
create a clean
Wine install anyways.
Should I use the Windows drive for the Wine install?
(yes/no) yes

Created /root/.wine/config using your existing Windows
installation.
You probably want to review the file, though.

Now  I tried  to  run winword.exe from one of these
partitions:

wine /mnt/hdbwin/Program\ Files/Microsoft\
Office/Office/winword.exe

A dialogbox pops up with the following error message:

"This application  must be installed  to run. Please
run setup from the
location where you originally installed the
application"

and the following messages were dumped on the console:

Created symlink /root/.wine/dosdevices/c: ->
/mnt/hdawin
Created symlink /root/.wine/dosdevices/d: ->
/mnt/hdbwin
Created symlink /root/.wine/dosdevices/e: ->
/mnt/cdrom
Created symlink /root/.wine/dosdevices/f: -> /tmp
Created symlink /root/.wine/dosdevices/g: ->
../${HOME}
Created symlink /root/.wine/dosdevices/e:: ->
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0

You can now remove the [SerialPorts], [ParallelPorts],
and [Drive]
sections
in your configuration file, they are replaced by the
above symlinks.

Converted drive type to new entry
HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "C:" =
L"hd"
Converted drive type to new entry
HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "D:" =
L"hd"
Converted drive type to new entry
HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "E:" =
L"cdrom"
Converted drive type to new entry
HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "F:" =
L"hd"
Converted drive type to new entry
HKLM\Software\Wine\Drives "G:" =
L"network"
Converted temp dir to new entry HKCU\Environment
"TEMP" = L"D:\\temp"
Converted windows dir to new entry HKCU\Environment
"windir" =
L"D:\\windows"
Converted system dir to new entry HKCU\Environment
"winsysdir" =
L"D:\\windows\\SYSTEM"
Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working
directory
'/root/downloads/wine/wine', starting in the Windows
directory.
fixme:ver:VERSION_GetLinkedDllVersion Unknown EXE OS
version 4.0,
please report!!
fixme:msi:MsiGetProductCodeW
L"{CC29E963-7BC2-11D1-A921-00A0C91E2AA2}"
0x30d64ff8

I googled extensively, but all I could figure out was
that probably
something needs to be done to my wine registry setup.
I generally work
on linux and have very little idea about the windows
registry set up
and how wine maps on to it.
It would be great if any one of the wine/windows gurus
could help me
out with this ....

Thanks,
Harjot

PS: I could have installed office from the CD itself,
but I wanted to
use the existing installation.....