[Wine]Cygwin running out of memory in wine

Dave Bellizzi (dbellizz) dbellizz at cisco.com
Tue Aug 16 17:28:52 CDT 2005

We use Cygwin on top of Wine to build some NPU code. The NPU compiler is
Windows based. Previously we were  using Wine 20041201 on SuSE 9.1 and
Slackware 9.1/10.0 but when we tried to use the same scripts on Redhat
EL AS 3 3 I'm getting an error where Cygwin cannot use more memory.
Normally Cygwin uses 386 MB and you have to follow these instructions
and it works fine. http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-maxmem.html
. I tried doing the same thing by editing the system.reg and user.reg
directly and adding

[Software\\Cygnus Solutions\\Cygwin] 1124221849
"heap_chunk_in_mb"=dword:00000400

and using wine regedit but I'm still getting this error.

19 [main] ? 28 init_cheap: Couldn't reserve 3600336 bytes of space for
cygwin's heap, Win32 error 487

I have a couple of questions:

Is there any way to determine the amount of memory that Wine has
available to it?

Has anyone run Cygwin on top of Wine