[Wine]iKernel.exe error

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Wed Aug 17 12:25:08 CDT 2005

serja schreef:
> I try to install Heavy Metal FAKK 2 game software, but the installer exit with
> the following error message: "The InstallShield Engine (iKernel.exe) could
> not be launched. (0x80040155)."
> I've read the wine faq and find some answer there: kill all running wine
> component. I've killed all wine components, but it doesn't help.
> I use wine 2005.03.10 on Debian 3.1 system.
> Is there any solutions? Or should I report it to developers?
> Thanks in advance!

FYI, there is a native port for Heavy Metal FAKK 2. It is available from
TuxGames ( www.tuxgames.com ), among other vendors.

There is also a native installer available from loki installers for
Linux gamers ( www.liflg.org ), but I don't know whether that can use
the files from the Windows CD (I suspect not, but look on the site's
forums to see if there is further information on the subject).

As for how to get the Windows version to install (nothing said about
whether it will run, which I don't know), you might try:

1) Going into the /temp folder in Wine's Windows drive
(/home/.wine/drive_c/Windows/temp) and deleting the folder into which
the installer was trying to extract. This has sometimes solved the
problem for me, if the installer would run at all);

2) upgrading your version of Wine to the current release (20050725),
which may contain improvements to Installshield that might allow the
installer to run;

3) installing the game under Windows, if you have Windows available, and
copying the installed game to your Linux install and running it then, or
running the game via Wine from the Windows install directory, if you
have that available (mounted) to your Linux install;

4) installing dcom95 (available from Microsoft) and then running the
setup using WINEDLLOVERRIDES= , as discussed on Frank's Corner at
http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=ishield

5) If you have an upgraded version of Windows which matches the version
of Windows that Wine is emulating, copy the InstallShield files (C:\
Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield) to the same location in Wine's
c-drive folder, essentially updating the InstallShield to the same as
Windows (this naturally is only legal-- and useful-- if you have a valid
Windows licence that matches the version of Windows you're emulating
with Wine; it won't be much use if you have an valid XP InstallShield
install when Wine is set to emulate Win98);

6) subscribe to Cedega, which contains licenced InstallShield functions,
thus should be able to at least let the installer run.

Even if any of these suggestions work, none of them ensure that the game
will actually run under Wine (or Cedega, for that matter), except the
'get the native port instead' suggestion, which I can confirm does work
under a current version of Linux.

Hope this helps,
Holly