[Wine]Sentinel Driver

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed Aug 17 15:34:51 CDT 2005

    Vince> I'm trying to run the Ardis Cutting Optimizer under wine but it
    Vince> uses a Rainbow Sentinel driver to detect a parallel port dongle
    Vince> for copy protection.  I have the dongle and I've installed the
    Vince> sentinel driver, but when I run wine COWIN.exe I get the
    Vince> following:

    Vince> fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"sntnlusb.vxd".  Try
    Vince> setting Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win32'.

    Vince> At that point the program pops up a window telling me that I need
    Vince> to install the sentinel driver.

    Vince> I've tried changing the version and it produces the same error.
    Vince> I've looked up the file and it's the usb sentinel driver, which
    Vince> shouldn't apply here, but it apparently checks for both usb and
    Vince> parallel.  The other modules run just fine under wine, but
    Vince> without the primary executable, they won't work.

Wine can't load hardware drivers running in Ring 0. A .vxd or .sys needs to
run in Ring 0 to access the Hardware. Either the programm also runs on
win9x, without a driver doing direct hardware access, which wine can
"emulate". Or you have a access to the driver interface definition and you
reprogram it with unix means.
However "sntnlusb.vxd" seems to do something USB related, not related to the
parallel port access, so you are not even at the source of the problem. You
will get to the next problem if you fake a successfull sntnlusb.vxd loading
and then reply to all calls to sntnlusb.vxd in a way that the application
gets told that there is no USB hardware.

But these things are not for the faint harted

Bye
Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de