[Wine]DVD Shrink - no DVD devices found

Dick Angus richardj at telecable.es
Sun Aug 21 10:47:47 CDT 2005

I am new to Wine and really struggling. I'm trying to get DVD Shrink and DVD
Decrypter running on my Kubuntu 5.04. My system is current. I have a 2.8Mhz
machine with 1Gb memory and lots of space on my 160Gb hard drive. I have a
Plextor DVD+-RW and an HP CD-RW. They are /dev/hdc and /dev/hdd respectively.
Here is my /fstab file:

#
<pass>
proc               /proc                   proc    defaults          0       0
/dev/hda1       /                 ext3    defaults,errors=remount-ro 0       1
/dev/hda5       none                   swap    sw                0       0
/dev/hdc        /media/cdrom0   auto    ro,user,noauto             0       0
/dev/hdd        /media/cdrom1   auto    ro,user,noauto             0       0
/dev/sda        /media/usb0       auto    rw,user,noauto             0       0

I had an older version of wine and used winetools to try the install and set
up. I had a wineserver running and got DVD Shrink installed according to the
Ubuntu How To, but DVD Shrink could not see any DVD devices. The drop down
list was empty when I tried to do an “open disc” action. I then cleaned out
all the wine and winetools I had installed and got the latest version from
Wine-HQ via synaptic (the 725 version). I used winecfg and it found all my
devices when I did autodetect. It shows them in winecfg just fine. The DVD
device is labeled “D:           /media/cdrom0.” There is a symlink
in /dosdevices/d: for /media/cdrom0 which is the mount point for my DVD+-RW.
It is named “cdrom0” and points to /media/cdrom0. I installed DVD Shrink
again and it seemed to go in just fine, there is a registry entry for it.
However, still no devices in the drop down list when I do "open disc."
Any help would be much appreciated.
--
from Dick's corner of the dining room table