[Wine]ie6 in wine ?

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Mon Aug 22 04:35:32 CDT 2005

Viveka Nathan K schreef:
>   Hi,
>
>   I am using FC2. I installed wine.
>    How can I run ie6 in wine ?
>   I searched in net and got the solution for RedHat-9.0 as
>    http://patrick.spacesurfer.com/ie_wine_install.html#req
>    but if I try the same in my FC2 machine,
>
>    while |doing "wine --dll ole32=native dcom98"
>   I am getting the error as "wine: cannot find '--dll' "
>
>   .wine/config file is not there in my home directory
>
>   if I do "wine dcome98"
>   It goes upto some extent and tells that, already dcom95 or dcom98 is
>   installed, uninstall it to override.
>
>   How to uninstall ?
>
>   Please give me some solution to proceed with any of the above.

You might try these instructions:

http://frankscorner.org/index.php?p=ie6

or you might install WineTools, which should be able to install IE for you:

http://www.von-thadden.de/Joachim/WineTools/

Sidenet also claims to be able to install IE for you:

http://sidenet.ddo.jp/winetips/config.html

And Crossover Office most certainly will install it (IE is a supported
application). CX is a commercial application, but a free trial is
available on the site:

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxoffice/

That said, is it strictly necessary for you to install IE at all? If you
need it installed to support another application that requires it, or
you want to make sure that webpages you design display correctly using
it, that's one thing... but using IE as a default web browser is not
likely to work well. So if that's what you want it for, don't expect
good performance, certainly not when compared to any of the native Linux
web browsers likely to be already installed on your system or available
to be installed via your package management (Konqueror, Mozilla,
Firefox, Epiphany, Galeon, Links, Lynx, elinks, Dillo, etc).

Hope this helps,
Holly