[Wine]Softlinking to a dvd-drive with inconsistent mount points? => HAL-Support

Hiji hijinio at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 27 16:38:49 CDT 2005

--- Detlef Riekenberg <wine.dev at web.de> wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 26.08.2005, 12:50 +0200 schrieb
> Holly Bostick:
>
> >>Problem solved:
> >

>>http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2005/05/dkukawka_hal_mountpoints.html
>
> > > Thanks Hiji, that was useful for me too.
>
> Thats an ugly workaround that should be forbidden.
> See Below.
>
> > > It might be nice to be able to symlink "d::" to
> /dev/hdc
> > > and have wine figure out where that's mounted,
> > > instead of having to specify both the device and
> the mount point.
>
> IMHO thats the only possible Way and wine must go
> that Way ASAP!
> (and use the old method for systems, where the new
> way dis not work)

It might be the ugly way, but it is the official way.
This is definately *not* a Wine issue because it
affects any application which relies on have a static
name for the drive - let's make sure we're clear on
that. ;)  I suspect this "mounting by volume label"
won't last past Suse 9.3 since I haven't read anyone
praise this "feature" anywhere.

Hiji