[Wine]Softlinking to a dvd-drive with inconsistent mount points? => HAL-Support

Detlef Riekenberg wine.dev at web.de
Sat Aug 27 18:30:47 CDT 2005

Am Samstag, den 27.08.2005, 14:38 -0700 schrieb Hiji:

> It might be the ugly way, but it is the official way.

That's because many Applications are unable to handle it yet.

> This is definately *not* a Wine issue because it
> affects any application which relies on have a static
> name for the drive - let's make sure we're clear on
> that. ;)
No!
This is not only a Wine issue, it's an issue of all applications which
relies on static names.
The big mistake: The Volume-Label is optional.

It's possible on windows (since w2k) to work without a Driveletter for
your CDROM, ("%SYSTEMROOT%\mountpoint") but they made the same mistake:
Using a mountpoint (junction) is optional.
When they used the mountpoint-method as default and the
driveletter-method as optional fallback for old applications, then all
important software would work today without an extra driveletter for
removeable media.

It's time to be more flexible. freedesktop.org did a step in the
direction, now the applications must follow!

> I suspect this "mounting by volume label"
> won't last past Suse 9.3 since

.. and go backwards? No way!

> I haven't read anyone
> praise this "feature" anywhere.

That's the same when /dev/cdrom or /cdrom comes up as a link to the real
device. It doesn't matter, on which controller, port and id your drive
is connected; it just works.
The link comes up and step by step more applications using this.

And think about logical-volumes.
Go backwards, because the admin will define on his own, which physical
drive is used and mounted to a specific location?
Logical volumes are present for ages in Novell Netware and other
systems, arrived Windows since w2k and are working in linux for some
years now.

--
By By ...
      ... Detlef