[Wine]Softlinking to a dvd-drive with inconsistent mount points? => HAL-Support

Jesse Allen the3dfxdude at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 23:13:59 CDT 2005

On 8/27/05, Walt Ogburn <reuben at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Hi guys,

Hi

> The other possibility is to have something in wineserver update the
> dosdevices symlinks when volumes are mounted.  That would also be a
> significant amount of new stuff in wineserver.
>
> Without doing anything to wine itself, there's one other option: set up a
> HAL front-end like ivman (http://ivman.sourceforge.net/) to update the
> dosdevices symlinks when volumes are mounted.  This might be the right
> aswer.  A distro like SuSE that wants to use HAL and have things mounted
> in different places can include ivman scripts in its wine package to
> automatically do the right thing with the dosdevices links, and then
> there's no problem.  Or wine could check for ivman at the same time it
> creates .wine, and set up appropriate ivman scripts if it finds it.
>
> - Walter

I do agree better drive detection is needed, but I don't agree that
the mount point should be found through the d:: type symlink.  Better
to have something like Ivman call out a wine helper script to read
/etc/fstab and make the changes on the fly.  Wineserver could check
/etc/fstab on start up too.  The check on start can be controlled by a
setting.  Drive letters that are created on the fly are temporary
while wineserver is running.  The drive letters set up through winecfg
or ~/.wine/dosdevices are permament as long as the devices or
filesystems do exist.