[Wine] [Invalid ELF header] GSM audio codec in Ventrilo

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 10:32:10 CST 2005

Pictor wrote:
> I'm trying to run Ventrilo (voice chat) on WINE.
> I have the latest version of wine.
> I installed correctly Ventrilo.
>
> Now I have to setup it to use the GSM 6.10 codec.
> I read on-line that I only need to add "MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm" to
> the system.ini file, and add the file in the /system directory.
>
> I did it, but when I choose the codec GSM  I get an error:
> "Unable to find the specified codec"
>
> In the shell nothing appears with this error.
>
> So I tried to rename the msgsm32.acm file in msgsm32.acm.so
> This time, when I select the GSM codec, it give the same error pop-up,
> BUT in the shell I receive this error:
>
> "err:module:load_builtin_dll failed to load .so lib for builtin
> L"msgsm32.acm": /usr/lib/wine/msgsm32.acm.so: invalid ELF header"

You can't just rename the file to .so.  That's because it's a Windows
file and thus has PE headers, where .so files has ELF headers.

Wine should fallback to loading the native .acm version if the .so is not there.
Since Wine actually finds the .acm.so version, I imagine the acm is
being loaded through LoadLibrary or some such DLL loading function.

So maybe someone just forgot to make Wine check for native DLL files
named .acm in the DLL loading code?

Just a guess.