[Wine] Mavis Beacon crashes with page fault

Angela Burrell angela at lchras.ca
Fri Dec 16 09:49:47 CST 2005

Hi wine users,

I am using wine 0.9.3 on Mandrake 9.2. I've just installed wine from tar.bz2
and Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing 12 Standard; the installation went fine and
I'm able to run the program.

I have two problems:

1. The application hard-crashes my machine when running in full-screen mode,
since the app changes the screen resolution to 640x480. I had to reboot my
computer so I couldn't see if there were any error messages.

2. When running in a desktop window, it seems to run fine... but when I got to
the end of my lesson it suddenly stopped responding and I got this error in
my command window.

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x02e27d0b at address 0x40cd9995
(thread 0009), starting debugger...

I'm getting lots of fixme:dsound and err:dsound, could this be causing the
crash? The audio is terrible on my machine, but we don't use it anyway (I've
muted it).

Any way of fixing this? I'd like to run it in full screen mode, ideally.
Thanks.
WineDbg starting on pid 0x8