[Wine] Re: Wine's seti@home team

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Mon Dec 19 15:38:25 CST 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 21:37, Ivan Leo Puoti wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
>   > Hi Ivan. This is really, Really, Weird. I've just this moment posted a
> >
> > question to the SetiAtHome forum, because I'm having problems installing
> > Boinc on FC2 using Wine. I had no problems installing SetiAtHome classic
> > on my FC2 using wine, and the graphics were fine, but Boinc's installer
> > is insisting on needing IE6. This I'm not happy with, as on what remains
> > of my XP and ME installs, both IE and OE are blocked at the firewall due
> > to security issues. Do you know of any workaround for installing Boinc
> > with Wine, without having to install that IE thing. Nigel.
>
> Actually both the seti at home classic and bonic software have native linux
> versions, there isn't any need to run seti at home on wine.
>
> Ivan.

Ivan. I thought you were looking for folks to join the team. I know I can
install from a source tarball, but with no GUI. I'm waiting on a reply from
the Seti at Home forum for a URL for KBoincSpy. I'd prefer to be running Boinc
on Wine. Is it possible to install Boinc on Wine using another browser,
presumably for the GUI, rather than being forced to install MS IE on Wine. I
would like to join the wine team running Boinc, but have no intentions of
insulting my Linux install by installing the webrowser with the most severe
security problems on the planet anywhere near any of my Linux distro's. I
still have a Seti at Home classic data unit running on FC2 and Win XP. As I have
IE blocked at the firewall on XP, it will be interesting to see what happens
when I do an experimental install of Boinc on XP. On the face of it, it looks
like I will have to discontinue contributing to the Seti at Home project. There
is no way that I'm going to compromise on this issue. It's about time that
folks out there got used to the fact that there are other webbrowsers apart
from IE. I'm sorry if this offends, but am not going to risk my security,
whether IE running on Wine is a security risk or not. Nigel.