[Wine]Problem Starting Wine

Thomas H. George xyz at spininternet.com
Wed Feb 2 15:47:06 CST 2005

I have a Debian testing box with a 2.4.26 kernel.  I used apt-get to
install wine, wine-doc and winesetup.  Setup detected all the drives and
paths on my system but when I tried to run a program with the command

    wine g:\\bridge\\mike          (Mike Lawrence's Counting at Bridge -
a very elementary program, might even work with DOS)

I get the messages

    Warning: The specified Windows directory L"C:\\Windows" is not
accessible.
    Warning: The specified Windows diriectory L"C:\\Windows\\System" is
not accessible.

The problem could be that I had a problems with my copy of win98 and
added win2000 both on hda1.  Al l my Debian files are on hdb and I boot
the system with Lilo to have the option of starting any of these
operating systems.  If I boot to Windows I am given the option of
starting win98 or win2000 and I always start win2000.

Working from Linux, if I mount c: the directories include windows and
winnt and each contains a subdirectory system.

Using vi I edited ~/.wine/config to the windows directories and paths to
winnt.  This did not help.

Wine-doc mentions checking the configuration with winecfg but this does
not exist and apt-cache search winecfg cannot find it.

The Troubleshooting section suggest the setting the version so I added

[Version]
"Windows"="win2k"

to the config file.  This did not help.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what I might try next.

Tom  George