[Wine]Re: Application -almost- working

Tom deL pick at trollsrus.com
Sun Feb 6 15:44:10 CST 2005

Hi Gerry,

Thank you for the lead. It doesn't appear that this program uses
the abc notation system. On a quick look it appears to closely
resemble abc but was maybe modified for his uses?

For others who might be reading this: There is an abundance of
great abc manipulation software available, most of it for unix/
linux. For people interested, the 'standard' starting place is:
 http://staffweb.cms.gre.ac.uk/~c.walshaw/abc/

The abc2win program fits my needs (or prejudices or I am used
to using it :) better than anything else I have looked at. It
is a librarian in the sense that it helps build collections of
music. These collections (or parts thereof) can be easily be
printed in any order, which is nice for making play lists for
those who like to read music while performing. The output is
very professional in appearance as well.

All of the processing for the music presented here:
 http://www.blackflute.com/music/tunes.html
Was prepared using abc2win and Photoshop (and Photoshop only
for resizing the gif images).

I forsee some other problems with using it under wine as its
playback mechanism is a DOS program that hoots the PC speaker.
While not great for listening, it is nice for me to be able
to hear what I just typed in ;-)

I e-mailed Jim asking about any interest he might have in
trying to port it using winelib. We'll see. Maybe I will end
up using one of the very nice linux gui's available.

Thanks again and any ides on the hook16 problem gratefully
solicited.
 -Tom