[Wine]System directory L"%SystemRoot%\\system" is not accessible

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Mon Feb 7 18:26:24 CST 2005

Hey, all,

Running Wine 20050111 under SuSE 9.2 (SuSE 9.2 package from
sourceforge.net).

Wine was working fine until about an hour ago; I had several programs
installed and working and did not have this error (afaik).

Then I decided to install Septerra Core (
http://www.lith.com/sites/septerra/ , don't download the demo, though;
it is of no use in debugging, because the demo install does not write to
the Registry... but I'm getting ahead of myself).

The installer ran fine, but Septerra Core has a bug (under Windows as
well as Wine), where it does not write its Registry entries to the
Registry. This is a well-documented issue, so I was able to find the
correct Registry entries and add them to system.reg, and the main game
now runs well (with a couple of caveats that now seem related to this
problem).

But I must have done something wrong (even though I only added three
keys to LOCAL_MACHINE/Software, and didn't touch anything else at that
time), because now I'm getting the above error when I try to run ...
well, anything.

Weirdly, this does not affect Septerra Core, which runs fine-- except
for the Quicktime movies scattered throughout the game, which do not run
at all, although I have QT 6.3 as installed via Wine by another game. I
wouldn't care so much (most of the cutscenes within the game use the
game engine), except that I'm almost positive that the final "reward"
cutscene for finishing the game (which I have not yet done for the first
time) is a Quicktime movie, and I have played enough of this game in the
past to know that I *really* want to know what the stupid "Legacy of the
Creator" actually is (this is the big mystery of the entire game, after
all).

I thought that maybe the QT 6.3 previously installed wasn't being picked
up because it was installed by another game, so I tried to install QT
6.3 again with the intention of doing a Full or Custom install rather
than the Recommended I had done before.

What did I get?

holly at SuSE:~/games/Septerra_Core> wine
/media/dvdrecorder/storage/+drivers/QT6pt3/QuickTimeInstaller.exe
Warning: the specified System directory L"%SystemRoot%\\system" is not
accessible.
holly at SuSE:~/games/Septerra_Core>

Doesn't work if I cd to the directory first, either. Not good. I went
back into the registry and changed a couple of cases to match the actual
case of the path (C:\ to c:\ and System to system), but that didn't matter.

Other things seem to have gone south as well; I just tried to run
Planescape: Torment, which had been running just fine, and it wanted me
to put CD 2 in the D:\ drive (CD-ROM)... which would be normal, except
for the fact that I copied all four disks' contents to the game
directory and redirected the CD locations in the game's .ini file to the
game folder on the hard drive (drive Y:), and this was working fine for
the three days I was playing it last week. Something has changed, it
definitely seems to be the Wine system.reg (it's not the Torment .ini
file, which is still correct and contains no reference to drive D:), and
it's doing this by itself for some reason, since things that I didn't
have any reason to or interest in changing are now apparently different.

Does anybody know what has gone screwy and how I can fix it? And while
I've got you, does anybody know what I might need to do to get Wine to
run the game's *.db movie files (whose properties list them as
Quicktime-video in my file manager) with the Wine-installed Quicktime?

Thanks,
Holly