[Wine]Re: Re: System directory L"%SystemRoot%\\system" is not accessible

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Tue Feb 8 14:50:12 CST 2005

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:57:31 +0100, Holly Bostick wrote:
> holly at SuSE:~/.wine> wineprefixcreate
> Warning: the specified System directory L"%SystemRoot%\\system" is not
> accessible.
> err:ole:CoGetClassObject couldn't load InprocServer32 dll
> %SystemRoot%\system\devenum.dll
> fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID
> {4315d437-5b8c-11d0-bd3b-00a0c911ce86}, hres is 0x80070005
> err:devenum:DEVENUM_RegisterQuartz Failed to register Quartz. Error was
> 0x80070005)
> fixme:shell:_SHExpandEnvironmentStrings non-drive system paths unsupported
> fixme:shell:_SHExpandEnvironmentStrings non-drive system paths unsupported
> fixme:shell:_SHExpandEnvironmentStrings non-drive system paths unsupported
> fixme:shell:_SHExpandEnvironmentStrings non-drive system paths unsupported
> fixme:shell:_SHExpandEnvironmentStrings non-drive system paths unsupported
> /home/holly/.wine created successfully.

D'oh, oh well, it was worth a try :(

> My concerns are mostly the inability to load a dll in the %SystemRoot%,
> and the failure to register Quartz.

Indeed. I'd suggest starting from scratch, it looks like Wine self
destructed somehow.

> What is the proper way and format to add registry entries to the Wine
> registry to prevent this from happening again?

Same way as on Windows, use regedit and .reg files (which are the same
format as on Windows)

> So how should I proceed when I reinstall the Wine applications (or
> rather, Septerra Core) to prevent breaking the Registry (again)?

I'm not sure. If you can nail down a series of steps that causes this
problem we'd like to know.

thanks -mike