[Wine]Invisible Menu Items in Wavelab [was: Problems starting Wavelab]

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Wed Feb 9 06:13:46 CST 2005

Mark Knecht wrote:

>On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:10:52 +1100, Shayne O'Connor
><forums at machinehasnoagenda.com> wrote:
>

>>hi mark, thanx for the info .... however, the quartz.dll didn't seem to
>>help :(
>>

>>>  Searching on my XP Pro box there is a copy in system32 so it you
>>>were to try putting it there then it might be interesting to see what
>>>it does.
>>>

>>i also put it in the /system/ folder - that is where the included .nfo
>>file suggests to put it ...
>>

>Yeah, it would have been luck if it worked. I just found with the
>newest VST stuff that putting the required dll's in the directory tha
>the VST was in worked i that case.
>
>I suspect that quartz really isn't the solution however and more work
>with it will just be wasted time...
>

>>>  Now, if it's not quartz.dll then you have to run the wine debugger
>>>to figure out what's being called when the menu is drawn incorrectly.
>>>I tried that and didn't get anywhere.
>>>

>>i'll give this a shot - i haven't been able to find a good debugging
>>how-to for wine ... any suggestions?
>>

>Well, the Wine Userr's guide gives some good instructions but you need
>to be pretty interested in learning before you delve in.
>
>http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/bugs
>
>You can learn about debug channels in other parts of the same
>document. It's interesting (sort of...) that all this capability is
>there, but also frustrating as it feels like you have to get a
>programming degree to even get started.

yeah, i might put that journey on hold for the meantime :)

>One other possibility, which I don't think will work in this case, is
>that IF you can find a version of Wine that work differently in this
>regard then you can start looking at when changes happened that
>effected your program. I did this on the VST stuff and that lead to a
>couple of very helpful and much more knowledgeable people jumping in
>and find a hack to fix something. The good side about that hack is a
>better version is now being included in the next version of jack_fst
>and it will be FAR easier for others to fun VSTs under Linux in the
>future. Clearly Wavelab, Reaktor and lots of other high-end windows
>audio apps are wanted by the community. If we can find some of these
>answers then it helps everyone.

i can do without the menu entries for the moment, as everything else
works, and i sort of know my way around, but yeah - at the moment i
haven't been able to test out the stuff like Audio Montage (which is
basically a multi-track recorder) or CD tools, because that is where the
menu options require more than intuitiveness (for me at least).

everything else seems to work in wavelab - if *all* it's features
worked, and the program ran as it did under windows ... well, it's quite
an impressive app!

>Did you earlier point out a demo version of Wavelab that shows this
>problem? I'd be willing to try a quick install to see if I can
>duplicate your results.

there should be a link to the demo version on this page:

http://www.steinberg.net/displaydoc_sb.asp?Product_id=2181&Langue_ID=7&doctype=243&templ=10&division_id=&loc=doc243

shayne