[Wine]Installation issue?

David Curry dsccable at comcast.net
Fri Feb 25 19:13:24 CST 2005

James E. LaBarre wrote:

>> <>Are you able to get Turbo Tax working? I might try that myself if
>> it runs
>> OK in wine.
>>

>> BUT; what about that scam^h^h^h^hscheme that TT was using a couple years
>> ago where their copy-protection system was writing to your drive's boot
>> sector? I wouldn't trust it on a system where it wasn't isolated onto a
>> virtual disk image file (like a VMware or Qemu image).
>>
>> I think TaxCut will work. I know TaxAct won't even *install* under later
>> Wine versions (it used to at least install, but couldn't load it's
>> default
>> data file at startup)

Several people have reported to me that Intuit dropped their earlier
intellectual property protection scheme last year.  And, I have
installed TurboTax on my system using Setup.exe on the CD.   The system
has been rebooted since without any difficulties.

It is still not running, though, probably due to my lack of familiarity
with wine and to several years absence from doing anything at all with
Windows software.  (I haven't addressed any Windows operating system
setup parameters since W95.)