[Wine]dlls continued

David L. Smith smithfamily at oswego.net
Mon Jan 3 21:29:34 CST 2005

I installed another app, but it wouldn't run until I moved Mfc40.dll into the
system folder. I didn't change the config file, but the app now works.

Tempting a mental breakdown, I then installed another app, but got these
messages during the installation:
"Setup is registering installed files" in one msg dialog, and:
"failed to self register" in another.

the app is InfoHarvest Criterium DecisionPlus, (student version) btw.

After the installation finished, It tried to run itself and failed, so I ran
it directly from a terminal. It came up lame, but in the terminal it said
that it was missing MFC40.DLL (yes, same name as above in the windows no case
world) and MHRUN32.dll
So I added the first, but couldn't find the second.
Running it, gave me a stack overflow, so, since I did find Mhrun32.dll, I
moved it over and changed its name to all upper case. This time:

many of the following line, which is about what overflowed last try
err:syslevel:_CheckNotSysLevel Holding lock 0x408891e0 level 3

wine: Unhandled exception (thread 003b), starting debugger...
WineDbg starting on pid 0x3a
In 32 bit mode.
0x403730b7 _CheckNotSysLevel+0x43
[/home/david/wine-20041201/dlls/kernel/../../include/winternl.h:1283] in
kernel32: jmp        0x40373096 _CheckNotSysLevel+0x22
[/home/david/wine-20041201/dlls/kernel/syslevel.c:183] in kernel32
1283    static inline void WINAPI DbgBreakPoint(void) { __asm__
__volatile__("int3"); }

then when I tried to copy that, <sob> habit bit.
Ctrl-C: stopping debuggee
err:seh:setup_exception nested exception on signal stack in thread 003b eip
ffffe000 esp 40018c28 stack 0x40610000-0x40710000

1. Should I take a step back and throw out the dlls I moved to the system
folder, or should I add the dlls to config? Yes, I know that I'm not supposed
to worry about dlls, but what else should I have done with the first one?
2. What did that original message indicate? That is, the one about not self
3. Can I use a link to get a bunch of differently CAsEd dlls to point to one?
Or is there a Better way?
4. Dependency Walker would help me in windows, but I'm still not sure what to
do if a dependency is missing in a wine session. Anything?
5. Which question(s) did I miss?

David L. Smith