[Wine]quicktime page fault fix?

Joachim von Thadden thadden at web.de
Fri Jan 7 14:52:49 CST 2005

Am Fr, Jan 07, 2005 at 09:21:54 -0500 schrieb mel kravitz:
> quicktime starts but after selecting a movie to play quits with:

Quicktime works not very well with Wine. I can not recommend it. There
are much better players and for sure there are so many under linux that
I never saw a use for windows players. Whereas friends of mine are alway
struggling with codecs and broken files not correctly displayed, I had
never problems on linux with mplayer or xine and the avifile library.

If you like you can try to use Quicktime with WineTools, that cares
about a config working with it. Mostly it does:

- using "setarch i386 wine" instead of "wine" as a command on Fedora
  systems

- having a part in the config, that disables the usage of DirectDraw as
  this is known to trash your X-Display on many cards (as with mine)
  [AppDefaults\\QuickTimePlayer.exe\\DllOverrides]
  "ddraw" = ""

Sound is generaly not very good on slow systems and if you use something
like arts. wineoss is for sound the best on my system.

Regards
	Joachim
          Never run a touchy system!!!"