[Wine]correctly uninstalling/reinstalling wine?

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Tue Jan 11 10:27:06 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 10:57 -0500, Angela Burrell wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Every time before I post a problem or question, I try to upgrade my wine to
> the latest version (as I was told to do at the beginning).
>
> Well I'm going on to my 5th or 6th new version of wine. As an experienced
> Windows user (and a fairly new, but OK Linux user) I am concerned about the
> effect on my computer of simply installing wine after wine after wine. I
> seem to recall copying files all over the place and I'm sure by now it must
> be a mess. Alas my applications Dreamweaver and Fireworks still are not
> working.
>
> I have installed 1 Mandrake RPM version, all the rest from source tar.gz
> files. I have Mandrake 9.1 (2.4.22).
>
> Can someone please outline for me the CORRECT way of cleanly uninstalling
> one version of Wine before installing the next version? I'm pretty good at
> the command line but don't know everything yet.
>
> Thank you.
>
> -AB

You're right, this is a bit complex at the moment.  I'll be updating the
documentation on it.

Anyway I can summarize it here as "Uninstall packaged versions first,
then uninstall source versions by going into the source directory and
doing make uninstall"

If you're going from old versions, you'll probably want a new config
file as well.  Back up the old one (or if you don't care about the fake
windows drive, nuke ~/.wine entirely) and then follow the current
instructions for new users, which at this point is to run winetools.
This will soon be handled more automatically via the winecfg program,
but in the meantime it doesn't hurt to use winetools.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie