[Wine]Re: correctly uninstalling/reinstalling wine?

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Tue Jan 11 10:48:03 CST 2005

Angela Burrell wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Every time before I post a problem or question, I try to upgrade my wine to
> the latest version (as I was told to do at the beginning).
>
> Well I'm going on to my 5th or 6th new version of wine. As an experienced
> Windows user (and a fairly new, but OK Linux user) I am concerned about the
> effect on my computer of simply installing wine after wine after wine. I
> seem to recall copying files all over the place and I'm sure by now it must
> be a mess. Alas my applications Dreamweaver and Fireworks still are not
> working.

If you stick with always using packages from the same source, or always
compiling, then there really is no reason to be concerned. Yes, you may
end up with a few stray files, but it is mostly just a small amount of
wasted disk space.

If you switch from, say, a packaged version of Wine to compiling from
source, then definitely uninstall the old version first.

For what it is worth, I have been compiling and installing Wine from
source (CVS) frequently for almost 5 years, and have never uninstalled
it first.