[Wine]clobbered config file

Joachim von Thadden thadden at web.de
Wed Jan 12 12:13:26 CST 2005

Am Mi, Jan 12, 2005 at 12:10:38 +0100 schrieb Henri Girard:
> base win... But i have failure message... I guess the mistake i make is
> working as root
> but as i don't fear "security" i have nothing on my linux which can be
> "crack"

Yes, that's the problem. You *must not* use Wine or WineTools as root.
Results are unpredictable.

> And i install rpms as root... so i got "mess".... between user and root
> wine...

Perhaps, yes. The best way is to use "make uninstall" for the self
compiled versions and "rpm -e wine" for the binary ones. In your setup
it is hard to say whether files got messed up between the versions.
There is no need for your distribution to self compile. To get a clean
start do:

- "make uninstall" as the "user"
- "rpm -q wine"
- if there is more than one wine rpm installed do "rpm -e wine" as root
  for every version until your have no wine on your computer any more
- download the right wine binary version for your distribution from
  winehq and install with "rpm -Uvh wine..." as root; I recommend not to
  use the newest version; better use the 20041019 or 20040914 version;
  you can get them here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wine
- as normal user move your existing .wine away and call wt
- go through the "Base setup"

> run povray anymore... setup is good but when running says it has a bug
> somewhere...
> well I just use wine for fun and to test it and eventually communicate my
> problems
> with the list if it can be of any use because i think it's a good project
> (thanks a lot all wine team by the way !)
> But if i can make it run like the 14xx i had, was great with povray (i could
> even install friedrichs pov menu )
> after finding the problem with fonts...

If you have success with your desired applications send a quick note to
the list with

* name, version and language of the software
* exact download location
* website for informations
* specialities for installation with Wine (config,
  command line parameters, ...)

Regards
	Joachim
          Never run a touchy system!!!"