[Wine]Wine and FreeBSD

Jason But jbut at swin.edu.au
Thu Jan 13 23:21:44 CST 2005

Hello all,

First, happy to see the new release of WINE 20050111 for FreeBSD (and previous
20041201)

I obtained and compiled the latest version for my standard FreeBSD 5.3
install.

Upon running any windows/wine app I get the error messages

err:heap:HEAP_CreateSystemHeap system heap base address 0x80000000 not
available
err:heap:HEAP_CreateSystemHeap system heap base address 0x80000000 not
available
err:heap:HEAP_GetPtr Invalid heap 0x0!
err:heap:HEAP_GetPtr Invalid heap 0x0!
err:heap:HEAP_GetPtr Invalid heap 0x0!
err:heap:HEAP_GetPtr Invalid heap 0x0!

Some apps (if they do not use the heap) continue to run, the apps I want to
use (MS Office 2000 - Word/Excel/PowerPoint) fail as follows:

------------------------
MS Word will display the splash screen and then a message box with

"There is not enough memory or disk space to run Word."

before crashing

------------------------
MS Excel will start with the message box

"Cannot use object linking and embedding"

before starting, but attempting use excel will result in an out of memory
error and then a crash

------------------------
MS PowerPoint doesn't even start.

------------------------
This is dissapointing, we have managed
(http://caia.swin.edu.au/reports/041129A) to install MS Office 2K on WINE
20040505 under FreeBSD but were hoping that this newer version would fix our
two discovered problems (the new file.. dialog and the pulldown menus if more
than one office app is running).

Unfortunately, it seems that the new version breaks everything.

Further pottering around found...

HEAP_CreateSystemHeap() calls
MapViewOfFileEx() which calls
NtMapViewOfSection() which calls
map_view() which

attempts a normal allocation - wine_mmap_is_in_reserved_area() == 0
calling wine_anon_mmap()

The returned pointer is valid so wine_anon_mmap() succeeds BUT the returned
ptr != base and so the function returns STATUS_CONFLICTING_ADDRESSES which
returns up the chain and the heap allocation fails.

On my system base being requested is 0x80000000 and ptr being returned is
0x9996d000.  This result then fails the is_beyond_limit() test...

Any clues would help!!

Thanks.

Jason