[Wine]Re: Wine and FreeBSD

Jason But jbut at swin.edu.au
Sun Jan 16 17:51:42 CST 2005

Mike,

>> Hello all,
>>
>> First, happy to see the new release of WINE 20050111 for FreeBSD (and
previous
>> 20041201)
>>
>> I obtained and compiled the latest version for my standard FreeBSD 5.3
>> install.

> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2004-October/009834.html

> I'd talk to Anish Mistry about it. This is a FreeBSD VM bug and I'm afraid
> you may have to patch your kernel (or use the freebsd ports which i
> believe patch out the code that breaks freebsd)

Mike,

I have found this and a few other references to the problem.  Some suggest
that the kernel patch is required, others that it is no longer required for
FreeBSD.  Some have tried both ways and not fixed the problem.  I haven't had
time to patch the kernel or try this yet.

Gerald Pfefifer suggests to me to try a couple of things and provide him with
feedback:  Will post results when I do this later in the week.

Jason
If you want to give it a try, there are two things you could change
in libs/wine/mmap.c, where there currently is specific code for FreeBSD.

1) #ifdef __FreeBSD__
        /* Even FreeBSD 5.3 does not properly support NULL here. */
        if( start == NULL ) start = (void *)0x110000;
   #endif

Does anything change/improve if you reduce 0x110000?

2) void mmap_init(void)
   {
       struct reserved_area *area;
       struct list *ptr;
   #if defined(__i386__) && !defined(__FreeBSD__)  /* commented out until
FreeBSD gets fixed */

Does anything change/improve if you remove the "&& !defined(__FreeBSD__)"?