[Wine]Collins Master Dictionary (closer yet)

zoe at purdue.edu zoe at purdue.edu
Sat Jan 22 15:46:33 CST 2005

Hey, thanks for all the help,

the

"Desktop"="800x600"

line in the .conf file helped a lot, the elements within the window don't
dissappear anymore. Thanks! :)

Only one little glitch is keeping the program from being useful:
The dictionary doesn't use a standard 'search' field and button as one might
expect, instead, all of the entries for the selected language appear in a list
in a field on the left.  To search for a word, one makes this field active
(highlights an entry within) then begins to type.  As each letter in the word
is typed, the closest alphabetical match is selected.  For example, if I were
looking for the word "titipuchal", I would begin typing and for each letter
the definition field (on the left) would display:

t - T,t: the letter t
i - ti: PRON. PERS. you
t - titán: titan, giant
i - titilar: [light, star] to twinkle; [eyelid] flutter, tremble
p - titipuchal: mex. a large quantity, abundance
u - titipuchal: mex. a large quantity, abundance
c - titipuchal: mex. a large quantity, abundance
h - titipuchal: mex. a large quantity, abundance
a - titipuchal: mex. a large quantity, abundance
l - titipuchal: mex. a large quantity, abundance

however, when using my current install with wine, I get the following result:

t - T,t: the letter T
i - I,i: the letter I
t - T,t: the letter T
i - I,i: the letter I
p - I,i: the letter P
u - U,u: the letter U
c - C,c: the letter C
h - H,h: the letter H
a - A,a: the letter A
l - L,l: the letter L

I have no idea what sort of file would be responsible for the dictionary's
processing of the keyboard input.  Is this a result of a missing DLL that was
installed by the dictionary installer?  The installer was run from an actual
windows install, therefore whatever DLLs it installed are in the 'real' win98
folder and not in the wine windows folder.  How do I find out what files are
installed by the installer program?  is there an easy way to do this?

-zoe