[Wine]june 2005 release and 'registry' ?

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Sat Jul 9 08:50:40 CDT 2005

On Sat, 09 Jul 2005 07:01:16 +0200, Felix Nawothnig wrote:
> I'll submit a preliminary patch (introducing the not yet configurable
> DSound settings) showing how I think this should be done later today.

Felix and I talked this stuff over on IRC, I think we came to some
understanding on where winecfg is going and why it's designed the way it
is.

For everybody: generally, we should resist the temptation to do yet more
UI overhauls. Yes, the linked tabs thing is not ideal. It's more an
artifact of the Property Sheet control than anything else. However, a few
things which are less ideal are:

a) Treeviews: tried, didn't work very well. Treeviews have generally poor
   usability anyway

b) Tri-state checkboxes: not really clear what the third state means, but
   for now it may be a quick fix

c) Opening up new windows for each app: hard to implement in the code.

A much better way forward is simply to fix the damn bugs that winecfg
settings invariably exist to work around :)

Eg, even "Windows Version" will hopefully be fixed sometime later this
year (?) by switching us to 2K/XP mode by default and by nailing the last
DCOM problems. Desktop mode will eventually (I hope) become the
"winedesktop" program that was done years ago, I'm not sure what AJ plans
are here though.

Eventually nobody should have to use winecfg for anything. Let's spend our
time fixing the bugs and increasing automation rather than arguing about
the best way to represent a list of hacks in the UI :)

thanks -mike