[Wine]june 2005 release and 'registry' ?

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Sat Jul 9 13:13:50 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-09 at 11:07 -0700, Dan Sawyer wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Given that we take your point, how can winecfg be made 'optional'.
> There are many of us that are trying to use wine and find winecfg
> creates roadblocks. If winecfg will be unnecessary then why not remain
> with the config option. At least that is easily managable.

What roadblocks exactly does it create? It could use some polish for
sure, but it seems to basically work (at least, it does for me).

A few things it could do better are:

- Imported pre-canned application setups (basically .reg files)
- Drive detection sometimes creates a lot of drives
- Could be prettier: using app icons would be a good start but as always
  with win32 the code to do that is non-trivial

The thing about winecfg shrinking is a long term thing. It won't happen
tomorrow. For a few things, it may never happen, it'll just become less
and less necessary to run it as time goes on. It's an ideal to which we
aim rather than a fixed target.

thanks -mike