[Wine]ALSA and MIDI

Ian Goldby ian.goldby at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 14:32:26 CDT 2005

On 7/11/05, david <gnome at hawaii.rr.com> wrote:
> > My problem is finding out how to route MIDI in
> > a Windows application through to the (working) ALSA MIDI devices.
>
> I'd like to know that, too. So far I haven't found any Linux sequencer
> software I like, and seemingly none that can reliably produce sheet music.

Here's the answer. You need to load regedit and then create the following keys:

Create HKCU\Software\Wine\ALSA, and add two string values:
    MidiPort=72:0
    PlaybackDevice=default
    (72:0 happens to be the MIDI serial port in this case.)
Create HKCU\Software\Wine\Drivers, and add a string value:
    audio=alsa

If the keys already exist, just modify them. 72:0 is the port on which
the serial MIDI appears on my machine. If you are using Timidity, it
is probably 128:0. The command pmidi -l should provide you with a list
of available ports. In fact, I'm not sure that you necessarily need
the ALSA key, but I haven't tried it without. The other key is
essential though.