[Wine]Call to unimplemented function SHELL32.dll.723

Molle Bestefich molle.bestefich at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 05:52:10 CDT 2005

Uwe Bonnes <bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de> wrote:

>     Molle> Howdy-ho I'm trying to launch explorer.exe to show a Windows
>     Molle> desktop.
>
>     Molle> I read somewhere that I should use some native DLLs, so my
>     Molle> configuration is the default auto-generated .wine with some
>     Molle> native DLLs on top:
>
>     Molle> # cd # cd .wine/drive_c/windows # cp
>     Molle> /mnt/windows/windows/explorer.exe .  # cp
>     Molle> /mnt/windows/windows/system32/{shlwapi,rpcrt4,ole32,oleaut32,shdocvw}.dll
>
> Windows Explorer is tightly coupled to windows by a lot of undocumented
> functions. Few, if any chances to get it running. Perhaps try with added
> native shell[32] and friends, but probaly you'll meet other unimplemented
> functions then.

Thank you.
(Hmm, but I seem to recall that I've seen screenshots of it running?)

Before I plunge into another Wine experiment (with shell32 as you
suggest), what does this line from the debugger mean?:

ELF     0x40910000-409db000     Deferred        shell32<elf>
 \-PE  0x40930000-409db000     \               shell32

My guess was that it means that a Wine shell32 "stub" of some sort was
loaded, and that it has then chosen to load a native (PE) version of
shell32?

Just seems a bit wrong to me, as I can't figure out where it would find that?