[Wine]Call to unimplemented function SHELL32.dll.723

Uwe Bonnes bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de
Sun Jul 24 06:49:37 CDT 2005

    Molle> Howdy-ho I'm trying to launch explorer.exe to show a Windows
    Molle> desktop.
    >>
    Molle> I read somewhere that I should use some native DLLs, so my
    Molle> configuration is the default auto-generated .wine with some
    Molle> native DLLs on top:
    >>
    Molle> # cd # cd .wine/drive_c/windows # cp
    Molle> /mnt/windows/windows/explorer.exe .  # cp
    Molle> /mnt/windows/windows/system32/{shlwapi,rpcrt4,ole32,oleaut32,shdocvw}.dll
    >>  Windows Explorer is tightly coupled to windows by a lot of
    >> undocumented functions. Few, if any chances to get it
    >> running. Perhaps try with added native shell[32] and friends, but
    >> probaly you'll meet other unimplemented functions then.

    Molle> Thank you.  (Hmm, but I seem to recall that I've seen screenshots
    Molle> of it running?)

Ages ago, when Ulrich Weigand did great work around Wine and explorer from
Win98 ( or was it win95) those pictures may have floated around.

    Molle> Before I plunge into another Wine experiment (with shell32 as you
    Molle> suggest), what does this line from the debugger mean?:

    Molle> ELF 0x40910000-409db000 Deferred shell32<elf> \-PE
    Molle> 0x40930000-409db000 \ shell32

    Molle> My guess was that it means that a Wine shell32 "stub" of some
    Molle> sort was loaded, and that it has then chosen to load a native
    Molle> (PE) version of shell32?
The debugger gives the range where builtin shell32 was loaded, or probably
is to be loaded on demand (deferred). Nothins suspect there.

Forget about native explorer.

Uwe Bonnes                bon at elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de