[Wine]wine-20050725 feedback : lots of graphical glitches

Vincent Rubiolo vincent.rubiolo at free.fr
Thu Jul 28 07:38:36 CDT 2005

Hello wine-users,

I built and installed (with wineinstall) wine-20050725 [see system info
at end of mail].
While it works OK for most of the applications that I use (I still have
some crashes, I will investigate them), I have lots of graphical
glitches, some of which greatly reduce the usability of the applications :

Firefox :
+ Installation problems, esp. with respect to icons and text. I am
attaching small screenshots for you to see the problems. During the
installation, the console returns :
fixme:win:SetWindowTextW setting text L"Extracting" of other process
window 0x10022 should not use SendMessage
err:static:STATIC_SetIcon huh? hicon!=0, but info=0???

+ Main page display problem. Black boxes in rendered page (which is
perfect on native Linux FF). Menubar scrambled. It clears up a little
(not perfect though) when my mouse passes over it. Console says :
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {4955dd33-b159-11d0-8fcf-00aa006bcc59}
not registered
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID
{4955dd33-b159-11d0-8fcf-00aa006bcc59}, hres is 0x80040154
err:clipboard:CLIPBOARD_CloseClipboard Failed to set clipboard.

The combo box under the icons is almost not appearing at all, making it
impossible to navigate in directories (see small screenshot).

This is just to show the problems I am encountering. I tried searching
in the Bugzilla but the search (keyword firefox) returned no replies. I
have to say that the search is quite cumbersome. I use Bugzilla almost
daily (Mozilla project for instance), and searches are a lot easier
because there is a simple search box, instead of having everyone to use
the advanced search function.

I also have opened an account on the AppDB. Should I report these
problems to the apps maintainers instead (it seems so)?
There is so much documentation that I don't know what to do : you seem
to welcome bug reports but I am not sure whether apps bugs are helpful
to you. Are they?

Could you give me some pointers please?

Thank you. I am willing to participate and help but don't know what to
report exactly as I am not familiar with Wine internals.

System information as requested on
http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-user/bug-reporting :
+ Wine 20050725 (note that wine -v does not work anymore, contrary to
what the page says)
+ kernel : i686 GNU/Linux 2.4.21-27.0.1.EL (this is Redhat Entreprise WS3)
+ compiler : gcc (GCC) 3.4.3
+ windows : no windows installed or used
+ program : firefox 1.0.5, available at www.mozilla.org
+ cmdline : wine firefox.exe (in fake_c\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox)
+ X server : 4.3.0 shipped by Redhat
+ steps to reproduce : simply start firefox after installing. Same for 7zip.

Reclaim Your Inbox!