[Wine]Wine and ArcView 9.1

Curt du Laney tortugajefe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 18:55:00 CDT 2005

I am having trouble getting ArcView to setup under wine.  I am
relatively inexperienced with wine, so if I am missing an obvious step
please feel free to tell me so.

ArcView 9.1 requires Windows later than 98 (i.e. win2k, winxp).  When
I setup my config file specifying win98 the ArcView installer starts
but quickly tells me that the application is not supported on this OS.

Switching my config file to win2k (or winxp) I always get:
fixme:thread:NtSetInformationThread Set ThreadImpersonationToken handle to (nil)
fixme:thread:NtSetInformationThread Set ThreadImpersonationToken handle to 0x3c
fixme:thread:NtSetInformationThread Set ThreadImpersonationToken handle to (nil)
fixme:thread:NtSetInformationThread Set ThreadImpersonationToken handle to 0x44
fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceA ((null),"MsiInstaller"): stub
fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW (L"",L"MsiInstaller"): stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventA
(0xcafe4242,0x0002,0x0000,0x000003f7,(nil),0x0006,0x00000000,0x7fc7c7b8,(nil)):
stub
fixme:advapi:ReportEventW
(0xcafe4242,0x0002,0x0000,0x000003f7,(nil),0x0006,0x00000000,0x77ca35b8,(nil)):
stub
fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub
The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if
you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is
not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for
assistance.

I have downloaded and (tried to) install InstMsiW.exe.  That appears
to do nothing, just returning to the command prompt.  I am not sure if
I should have seen anything during that execution or not.  I used
InstMsiW.exe after successfully installing InstMsiA.exe.  I *think*
InstMsiW.exe is necessary because I am trying to simulate a 2k/XP
environment.

These are the files on the CD:

Autorun.inf*    Install.htm*   Python/   Setup1.cab*  setup.hlp*
setup.msi*    Support/
Documentation/  instmsiw.exe*  Rainbow/  setup.exe*   Setup.ini*  startup.exe*

I tried "wine instmsiw.exe" from the CD.  Same uninformative result.
"wine setup" fails the same as before.

I have tried the directions here http://wiki.winehq.com/NativeMsi to
no avail.  Although to be honest I can follow those directions but I
am not really sure what those directions mean.

Google search turned up the same problem with a different app:
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-users/2005/01/0118.html

wine --version: Wine 20050524
I did setup with winetools.  Basic stuff like notepad, ie6 and the MS
Office viewers are working.  I believe I have gone through all the
base setup steps.

Any advice on steps to take?

Thanks.
--