[Wine]Re: Problem with Notes on Debian Wine

Jose Alejandro Guizar neobunch at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 9 11:30:45 CDT 2005

> To: wine-users at winehq.com
> From: David Goodenough
> <david.goodenough at btconnect.com>
> Date:  Wed, 08 Jun 2005 16:28:30 +0100
> Subject: [Wine]Re: Problem with Notes on Debian Wine
>
> Jose Alejandro Guizar wrote:
>

> >  --- David Goodenough
> <david.goodenough at btconnect.com>
> > escribió:
> >
> >> For a while now I have had a problem running
> Notes
> >> on Debian Wine.  Most of
> >> the time it runs just fine, but whenever I try to
> >> open a mail document which
> >> has an attachment Notes just terminates.
> >>
> >> I have the log and the relevant bit seems to
> say:-
> >>
> >> err:syslevel:_CheckNotSysLevel Holding lock
> >> 0x41311700 level 3
> >> wine: Unhandled exception (thread 0009), starting
> >> debugger...
> >> WineDbg starting on pid 0x8
> >> In 32 bit mode.
> >> 0x40524a93 _CheckNotSysLevel+0x43 in kernel32:
> jmp
> >>    0x40524a76
> >> _CheckNotSysLevel+0x26 in kernel32
> >>
> >> I could not find this problem through google,
> >> although there were a few
> >> references to _CheckNotSysLevel but slightly
> later
> >> in the code, so I was
> >> unsure whether this is the same problem.  They
> seem
> >> to be in libntdll
> >> rather than in kernel32 however so I am a bit
> >> confused as to where there
> >> are two _CheckNotSysLevel functions.
> >>
> >> David
> >
> > Hey there. What version of wine and notes are you
> > using? I, too, need to use Notes (6.5.1) and have
> > debian box. I found that the only wine version
> that
> > allows Notes to work fully is 20041019. On other
> > versions I had that same problem (no attachment
> view
> > or save or create an attachment) and on some
> versions
> > you cannot use views or see the contents of some
> of
> > your created folders. For debian you can get
> earlier
> > versions of packages from
> http://snapshot.debian.net.
> >
> > If Notes is the most important thing you use wine
> for,
> > then I really recommend you use that version.And
> use
> > winetools for configuration.
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> My intention is not to ensure I have a working
> Notes,
> but rather to get the problems fixed.  I know that I
> can go back to the old release, but I want new
> releases
> to work too.

Then perhaps you should consider joining the dev team
:).

> I am running 20050524, or rather the Debian package
> with that in its name.
>
> David

Seriously, I'm guessing that ever since 20041019
they've been taking wine into other experimental
directions, which of course means that something that
used to work before will no longer work. That's what
happens with Notes. I've only gotten it to work on
20041019, and it's not like I casually noticed it, I
spent a good part of a work-day downloading, compiling
and configuring various versions of wine to see which
one worked best for me. The result, Notes won't work
*fully* with any version later than 20041019. Altough
I'm positive that with extensive config hacking you
could get it to work; but I'm guessing you'd have to
know a whole lot more about the intricacies of wine's
builtin dlls against the native ones to pull it off.

Maybe you can be the one to pull it off and then write
about it so when the next you has this problem there
*will* be an answer when sought through google :).

Best of luck to you and cheers.