[Wine]Wine-20050524 problem

Hiji hijinio at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 11:43:09 CDT 2005

> It seems that wine20040419 is the most stable
> release (the one used by
> wine-tools).
> It is the only release which can run Lotus Notes
> without any problems.
> But this version was released more than a year ago,
> and it should NOT be
> more stable than a newer version.
> Wine should be moving forward NOT backward!

My thoughts exactly.  As grateful as I am for the
existence of Wine, I've been meaning to draft up a
short email to the development team about my concerns
about its progression.  The primary concern is that
"yes.  Wine should be moving forward" - on the
development side it is, but for the end-user the dev's
progression translates into backwards steps.  (That
is, until the dev finishes what they were doing.)
Currently, I'm stuck on wine-20041201 because
Dreamweaver MX won't install on newer versions; I
think it's because they're still working on getting
installers properly working, but who knows when that
will get done.  A year before that, Photoshop 7 didn't
work for at least 6+ months when previously it did.
It's for these reasons (I believe) that Winetools is
stuck on an older version too.

Again, I'm grateful for Wine, but it also helps to
know this stuff for your own sanity.  With Wine, you
just have to be patient for newer versions.  I just
wish the road-to-upgrades was smoother. ;)

Hiji

M-Halo: Electronic Rock
http://www.mhalo.com