[Wine]Re: Wine-20050524 problem

Hiji hijinio at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 13:39:23 CDT 2005

--- Hannu Valtonen <Hannu.Valtonen at hut.fi> wrote:

> Hiji wrote:
> >>It seems that wine20040419 is the most stable
> >>release (the one used by
> >>wine-tools).
> >>It is the only release which can run Lotus Notes
> >>without any problems.
> >>But this version was released more than a year
> ago,
> >>and it should NOT be
> >>more stable than a newer version.
> >>Wine should be moving forward NOT backward!
> >

> > My thoughts exactly.  As grateful as I am for the
> > existence of Wine, I've been meaning to draft up a
> > short email to the development team about my
> concerns
> > about its progression.  The primary concern is
> that
> > "yes.  Wine should be moving forward" - on the
> > development side it is, but for the end-user the
> dev's
> > progression translates into backwards steps.
> (That
> > is, until the dev finishes what they were doing.)
> > Currently, I'm stuck on wine-20041201 because
> > Dreamweaver MX won't install on newer versions; I
> > think it's because they're still working on
> getting
> > installers properly working, but who knows when
> that
> > will get done.  A year before that, Photoshop 7
> didn't
> > work for at least 6+ months when previously it
> did.
> > It's for these reasons (I believe) that Winetools
> is
> > stuck on an older version too.
> >
> > Again, I'm grateful for Wine, but it also helps to
> > know this stuff for your own sanity.  With Wine,
> you
> > just have to be patient for newer versions.  I
> just
> > wish the road-to-upgrades was smoother. ;)
>
> Well, it wouldn't hurt if Wine users started
> reporting regressions to
> Bugzilla/or the mailinglists more actively. Such a
> mail/bugzilla entry
> should also _always_ come with a note attached
> saying which patch broke
> it. There are instructions for this on the web page.
>
> (http://www.winehq.org/site/docs/wine-devel/x1318)
>
> It is exceedingly difficult to know beforehand if
> fixing a particular
> problem in Wine breaks another application. Lately
> we have also been
> bitten by the x11drv rewrite, and you may end up
> finding that the patch
> that broke your app might be one of those. But the
> only way for us to
> know it broke something is to speak up. (With the
> information pointing
> out the precise patch that broke it)
>
> - Hannu Valtonen

Definately.  I agree here too.  The best first route
to take would be to have a healthy discussion about
what we can all do to ensure that Wine does indeed
continue to move forward.  Then, from that, establish
a "process" for this that everyone is aware of.  Of
course, this is easier said than done, but it's
definately worth making a mental note of.

Hiji