[Wine]Wine-20050524 problem

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Thu Jun 16 12:59:55 CDT 2005

Shadi Khasawneh schreef:

> I'm a WINE fan, and my ONLY concern here is the stability and quality
> of WINE! I appreciate all the efforts of the WINE development team, and
> I know that WINE is still under development but I would suggest trying
> to improve the testing of new WINE RELEASES.

Which is all very well and good, but how exactly is that supposed to be
implemented? If somebody set up a team to test Lotus Notes, I'm sure
that would be wonderful-- but you could test that till the end of time,
and it wouldn't help me, because I've never used Lotus Notes, and doubt
I ever will.

So are Lotus Notes users more important than me? If so, then naturally
I'm not going to be such a big fan of Wine as I used to be. If not,
who's going to test the programs that *I* use? What about the ones my
boyfriend would use if I could convince him to switch to Linux-- and
which I therefore have to test to prove to him that he *can* switch?

What about the programs other users on this list couldn't do without? No
matter how obscure the program might be, if you need it, then it's
important to you.

I think the best plan on the table is the one currently being
implemented: people need to sign up on the AppDB to maintain
applications, and people need to post results with applications to the
AppDB, so that bugs and regressions can get noticed and fixed in an
organized manner.

And the Wine project needs to publicize itself so that people know to
contribute to the AppDB, which I see as the biggest fly in the ointment.
People don't know to help, or how to help, so they don't help-- they
just complain that somebody else should do it. With a project as small
as Wine (there are not an infinite number of Wine developers, and
volunteers are not the same as dedicated paid personnel), the strategy
of "the squeaky wheel gets the most grease" is never going to work.

Holly