[Wine]Wine-20050524 problem

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Thu Jun 16 21:52:38 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 13:19 -0700, Hiji wrote:
> > We recognized long ago that regressions can be a
> > serious problem for
> > Wine.  Unfortunately, as Holly points out, not every
> > developer can test
> > every application at every release - this is why
> > we've created the
> > Application's Database, which allows just about
> > anyone to sign up as a
> > maintainer for an app.
>
> The APPDB, while fantastic for recording the
> progression of compatibility, doesn't really help with
> fixing a bug.  (I'm not sure if this is what you were
> getting at.)  My notes on Photoshop 7 are still there
> from when I was a wine-newbie in regards to getting to
> work again; even an opening a bug didn't help.  I
> didn't even think about mailing wine-devel because...
> I just didn't know, and I thought that alias was
> strictly for talking development and not bug fixing.
> http://appdb.winehq.com/appview.php?versionId=1336
>
> Again, this is all "easier said than done", and I know
> its hard knowing when a fix in one area will break
> another.  But, I think certain things *can* be helped
> or avoided.  For example, I understand that the
> "installshield" is being worked on; it's development
> has effected applications like Flash MX.  Whereas
> before you could drop in a DLL here and there to
> install an app, it won't even install now no matter
> what you do.  So, instead of the development being
> merged back into the main tree and breaking things
> until the project is finished, why not branch off and
> then merge everything back in when its working?

Well, for one thing, we don't _have_ a main tree.  Every release so far
has pretty much been a development snapshot - you've been using alpha
software.  This September, however, we will have a stable version, and
it's been a long time coming.

Roughly, the plan is to have every app that is in the Application's
Database as "working" for the first stable release never regress when we
make a subsequent stable release (and, hopefully, improve).  How we do
that will likely vary, but from right now I can tell you that App
maintainers will be important.

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie