[Wine]CDROM access problem on FreeBSD

Edward West edward-west at uiowa.edu
Sun Jun 19 11:37:17 CDT 2005

Lately I have been trying to get Warcraft II BNE to work on my FreeBSD
machine.  I check the Application Database and Warcraft II BNE is
supposed to work fine under Wine.

I started out by updating my ports tree and installing Wine-20050524.  I
could not get the installer to run under that version, so I installed
Wine-20041201.

Under 20041201 I was able to install the game, but the game complains
about not finding a certain file on the CDROM drive.  After getting the
installation to work, I have tried running the game under three versions
of Wine: 20050524, 20050310, and 20041201.

I have seen quite a few people commenting that 20050524 doesn't work
well with some programs on FreeBSD and I have also heard that 20041201
was one of the more stable versions of Wine.

Since the program seems to have the same issue on all three versions, I
suspect that I may have a problem with how my CDROM is configured.

Here is the error message from Warcraft II BNE along with the stderr
output for each Wine version.  Also, some information on my setup.
The Wine config file I use is unmodified from the default version
created during the Wine installation.

Warcraft II Battle.net Edition is unable to read a required file. Your
Warcraft II Battle.net Edition CD may not be in the CDROM drive. Please
ensure that the disc is in the CDROM drive and press OK. To leave the
program, press Exit.

==Wine 20050524==
fixme:cdrom:CDROM_GetInterfaceInfo not implemented for BSD
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 4103
(SPI_SETLISTBOXSMOOTHSCROLLING)

==Wine 20050310==
fixme:file:get_default_drive_device auto detection of DOS devices not
supported on this platform
fixme:cdrom:CDROM_GetInterfaceInfo not implemented for BSD
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly
supported on this platform
err:heap:HEAP_CreateSystemHeap system heap base address 0x80000000 not
available
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 4103
(SPI_SETLISTBOXSMOOTHSCROLLING)

==Wine 20041201==
fixme:file:get_default_drive_device auto detection of DOS devices not
supported on this platform
fixme:cdrom:CDROM_GetInterfaceInfo not implemented for BSD
fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile device info not properly
supported on this platform
err:heap:HEAP_CreateSystemHeap system heap base address 0x80000000 not
available
fixme:system:SystemParametersInfoW Unimplemented action: 4103
(SPI_SETLISTBOXSMOOTHSCROLLING)

ls -l $HOME/.wine/dosdevices
total 0
lrwxr-xr-x  1   user   group   4 Jun 16 16:39 a: -> /flp
lrwxr-xr-x  1   user   group   8 Jun 16 16:39 a:: -> /dev/fd0
lrwxr-xr-x  1   user   group  18 Jun 19 11:08 c: -> ../../WineDrives/c
lrwxr-xr-x  1   user   group   6 Jun 17 01:23 d: -> /cdrom
lrwxr-xr-x  1   user   group   9 Jun 19 10:27 d:: -> /dev/acd0
lrwxr-xr-x  1   user   group   6 Jun 17 00:55 w: -> /winxp
lrwxr-xr-x  1   user   group   1 Jun 16 16:36 z: -> /

ls -l /dev/acd0
crw-rw----  1 root  operator    4,  16 Jun 18 22:32 /dev/acd0

ls -ld /cdrom (unmounted)
drwxrwxr-x  2 root  operator  512 Jan 15 05:52 /cdrom

I have Wine compiled with debugging support, so if there are debugging
channel messages that may shed some light on the problem, please let me
know.  I am still unfamiliar with the Wine debugging output.

Thanks,

Edward West