[Wine]Where to install wine?

Hiji hijinio at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 27 12:03:31 CDT 2005

--- Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/25/05, Hiji <hijinio at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > If you are compiling from source, the easiest
> thing to
> > do is to extract the tarball into the directory of
> > your choice.
>
> What choices do I have? When is su I am in /root
> directory. Should I
> do it there? Or should I do it as a regular user? I
> know where NOT to
> do it (/temp for instance) but when you say choice,
> could you give me
> a few examples of places that I can choose from?

Run the script as a regular user, and don't ever su
into root.  At one point, the script will ask you for
your root password simply to install the Wine API.  I
haven't played with where to install it; it usually
goes by default in to /usr/local/bin , and that works
for me since that's a typical install location, and I
can run Wine from anywhere simply by typing "wine".
The install location isn't quite as important as the
Windows world.

As far as the source goes, you can extract that
anywhere as well and run the wineinstall script.  In
the end, its really up to you to choose where you
think it would be most organized.  Personally, I
usually extract it into /opt/ ; so, I have the
/opt/wine-yyyymmdd folder with the source code.
(Which isn't the same as the compiled binary.)  But,
it would make more sense to keep the source under the
standard /usr/src/ folder.  Or, even better yet,
/usr/src/wine/wine-yyyymmdd so the /usr/src/wine/
folder contains all the different monthly releases I
would/ could install.

Hope that helps,
Hiji