[Wine]Re: Does README have any connection to reality?

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Thu Mar 3 09:51:29 CST 2005

Lasse Kaihlavirta wrote:
> Whoops,
>
> that went off way too early. What I intended to say was:
>
> I downloaded Wine-20050211-i486-S10.tgz unzipped it, and then went on to
> read ./usr/doc/Wine-20050211/README, which says:
>
> "
>>From the top-level directory
> of the Wine source (which contains this file), run:
>
> ./tools/wineinstall
>
> "
>
> ...huh? There is no "tools" directory (not to mention "wineinstall") anywhere
> to be found? I only have "usr" and "install" directories?
>
> Lasse

No, there is no "tools" directory, because you have downloaded a
precompiled binary for Slackware 10, rather than the source files, which
would be compiled and installed in the way the readme describes.

If you are in fact running Slack 10, use your package manager to install
the *.tgz normally.

If you are not running Slack 10, then download the correct binary for
your distribution, or download the source tarball and compile Wine, if
you would like to do that instead.

Hope this helps.

Holly