[Wine]Re: Can't get things running

Duane Clark dclark at akamail.com
Fri Mar 4 16:39:40 CST 2005

wine wrote:
> While I do have licensed copies of just about all versions of Windows I
> see this in the Wine documentation that you pointed me to:  "A major
> goal of Wine is to allow users to run Windows programs without having to
> install Windows on their machine. Wine implements the functionality of
> the main DLLs usually provided with Windows. Therefore, once Wine is
> finished, you will not need to have Windows installed to use Wine."
>
> That being said / read I was able to get my first application (Cadkit or
> Ckpp.exe) running by copying the real Windows 2K ddeml.dll into the
> system directory.

There is a slim possibility that putting a link into the windows/system
directory pointing to the Wine version of the DLL would allow it to
work. That it imply a rather broken Windows program.

>  The other application (KOPS.exe) still isn't
> co-operating with Wine, nor is it complaining about any specific file
> that I can copy into my Wine directory to help make things better.  It's
> still saying:  "fixme:actctx:CreateActCtxW stub", followed by a whole
> mess of "err:heap:HEAP_GetPtr Invalid heap (nil)!" messages.  Does
> anyone know what Wine is trying to tell me and how I might go about
> overcoming the problem?  Thanks,

The "fixme:actctx:CreateActCtxW stub" means that while Wine has the
function CreateActCtxW, the "stub" message means that there is nothing
in the function that does anything. And you can see that here:

http://source.winehq.org/source/dlls/kernel/actctx.c#L51

Oddly enough, many programs will continue to operate okay with a
remarkably large number of stubs in the Wine code. But in your case, it
is having a bad effect. About the only thing that can be done is to
actually write some code to at least partially implement that function.
Since this is in the kernel DLL, you cannot substitute a Windows DLL.