[Wine]Vegas Video 4.0 menus

Andrew Barr barr.156 at osu.edu
Sun Mar 6 18:30:53 CST 2005

Hi.

I'm trying to get a program called Sony Vegas Video 4.0 working in Wine.
I'm not the first one to try this:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.wine.user/8815

Last time, the person got the program running but ran into two problems:
the video preview didn't work and the menus disappeared after one use. I
believe I have fixed the first problem. The solution to this is to set
msvfw32.dll to native (you'll need to have a a copy available--it
doesn't come with the program). The menu problem has really stumped me.
Each menu draws correctly once--next time you open that menu it has no
text, no icons, and is much smaller. The submenu arrows are drawn. My
research on the Internet seems to indicate that user32.dll is
responsible for drawing menus--something that unfortunately can't be run
native. Am I right in the conclusion that I'm going to have to wait for
Wine's builtin user32.dll to correctly draw these menus or is anything
I've said here incorrect? It would be great if there was some DLL file I
could set to native and be on my way :). I'm downloading a demo of Vegas
5.0 to see if there's any improvement, but I'm even less hopeful because
I understand this version uses .NET much more than the last.

Andrew