[Wine]Segfault at debug

James E. LaBarre jamesl at bestweb.net
Wed Mar 9 23:08:03 CST 2005

I am (once again) trying to find just *why* TaxAct will not run under
Wine.  So this time I wanted to follow some instructions I got back in
Dec 2003 on debugging a program ("TaxAct, wine 20031212" in the
archives).  Of course, I found they were for the older method of editing
the config file and then adding a "wine --debugmsg +relay,+file -- ..."
command line, wnich I tried to adapt as "WINEDEBUG=relay,file wine ...",
but whenever I try it with this parameter (or by setting the variable
ahead of time & running wine by itself), I get a segmentation fault.

I don't recall getting this on my system at work (Fedora Core 3, wine
builds 20041201, 20050211, Thinkpad T41, Pentium M).  I expect part of
the problem is I can't find a native package for my x86_64 system at
home (also Fedora Core 3, but the 64bit version this time).  I tried the
Athlon and i386 builds (20050211), and get segmentation faults with both.

I would try compiling Wine for this machine specifically, but it fails
in the compile.  But that's the topic for a different message.