[Wine]Debian SID versions messed ujp

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Thu Mar 10 10:32:53 CST 2005

On Thursday 10 March 2005 15:56, Roman Stöckl-Schmidt wrote:
> They
> should imho be called something like wine-snapshot and be installed to
> another location than the official debs (like /opt/ or /usr/local/ like
> the self-built ones) to be able to install the latest version alongside
> the one properly packaged according to debian policy.

How does one set this up so that what gets run gets the correct library? When
I had both the debian and the ones I compiled, running wine produced a
version mismatch error.

>Concerning the non-fake-windows root I can only add to what Joachim had
>to say that by using a native windows installation you'll run into
>problems that people doing it the 'right' way wont and additionally
>you're slowing down the process of making wine become a full and
>equivalent replacement for a native windows API because you're not
>giving your manpower as an alpha tester since you're not really using it
>for the most part. Break out of the vicious circle, even if it means some
>struggle in the beginning, it will turn out to have been the right decision
> in the end.

When I am ready to get rid of the Gates installation, I will gladly do this. I
agree that meanwhile, this delays the object of building a complete
alternative. When this is farther along (for example, MSI faked, better
directX, etc), we will have more takers.

I could try everything as "builtin" or ".so" (if that is now viable). Also,
most of the games as such will run without Gate's registry, assuming that the
registration stuff that is dependent on that will run builtin. Some of it
does not, in fact. The Debian list has posting now about "orange" which reads
all the cabs, installers and self-extractors and its numerous libraries might
be of use.