[Wine]Application needs a 32-bit DOS extender; DOS4GW & DOS32A don't work.

Andrew Tuckey andrew at pcorp.com.au
Thu May 5 00:56:48 CDT 2005

Hi,

I have a DSP compiler I'm trying to get working in linux with wine.  The
compiler needs a 32-bit DOS extender.  The programme tries to use dos4g.exe or
dos4gw.exe by default.  The result is:

  wine shc.exe algoio.c
  Warning: unprotecting the first 64KB of memory to allow real-mode calls.
           NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.
  SH SERIES C Compiler Ver. 2.0D

  Stub exec failed:rce Program (p) ***
  c:\7032\shc\bin\dos4gw.exe
  No such file or directory
  Stub exec failed:
  c:\7032\shc\bin\dos4gw.exe
  No such file or directory

etc.

But dos4gw.exe is there.

If I try to use dos4gw.exe explicitly, I get:

  wine dos4gw.exe shc.exe algoio.c
  Warning: unprotecting the first 64KB of memory to allow real-mode calls.
           NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.
  err:int:TIMER_TimerProc DOS timer has been stuck for 60 seconds...
  err:int:TIMER_TimerProc DOS timer has been stuck for 60 seconds...

etc.

And it hangs. Now I know that there are problems with dos4gw's exec or
something that will probably never be fixed.  So I tried the next best thing -
dos32a - that everybody raves about.  The result:

  wine dos32a shc.exe algoio.c
  Warning: unprotecting the first 64KB of memory to allow real-mode calls.
           NULL pointer accesses will no longer be caught.
  DOS/32A -- Protected Mode Run-time  Version 7.33
  Copyright (C) Supernar Systems, Ltd. 1996-2005
  err:int:DOSVM_Int33Handler int33: unknown/not implemented parameters:
  int33: AX 0015, BX 0003, CX ffff, DX ffff, SI 0000, DI 0000, DS 11cf, ES 11d7
  fixme:int31:DOSVM_Int31Handler Get Processor Exception Handler Vector (0x00)
  fixme:int31:DOSVM_Int31Handler Get Processor Exception Handler Vector (0x06)
  fixme:int31:DOSVM_Int31Handler Get Processor Exception Handler Vector (0x0d)
  fixme:int31:DOSVM_Int31Handler Get Processor Exception Handler Vector (0x0e)
  fixme:int31:DOSVM_Int31Handler Set Processor Exception Handler Vector (0x00)
  fixme:int31:DOSVM_Int31Handler Set Processor Exception Handler Vector (0x06)
  fixme:int31:DOSVM_Int31Handler Set Processor Exception Handler Vector (0x0d)
  fixme:int31:DOSVM_Int31Handler Set Processor Exception Handler Vector (0x0e)
  DOS/32A fatal (3001): could not open application file "shc.exe"
  fixme:int31:DOSVM_FreeRMCB callback address: 081d:0000
  fixme:int31:DOSVM_Int31Handler Set Processor Exception Handler Vector (0x00)
  fixme:int31:DOSVM_Int31Handler Set Processor Exception Handler Vector (0x06)
  fixme:int31:DOSVM_Int31Handler Set Processor Exception Handler Vector (0x0d)
  fixme:int31:DOSVM_Int31Handler Set Processor Exception Handler Vector (0x0e)

So I'm at a complete loss as to what to do.  I've read the FM on dos32a and
can't see anything described therein that would help.

Anyone else had similar problems and found a solution ??

Regards

Andrew