[Wine]Navigating to the upper floor of the /Home directory using Wine.

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Thu May 19 15:38:47 CDT 2005

Robert Yu schreef:
> I want to be able to use Wine to reach the /home base partition or
> directory. By wanting such a thing, do I install Wine on the /usr
> directory or do I do that on home itself?

Where you install Wine is not relevant to this question (so just install
it to the default location).

Make a symbolic link in /home/username/.wine/dosdevices to your /home
directory and call it d:

When Windows programs then install to or try to read from the D:\ drive
as accessed by an Open or Save dialog dialog, the dialog will be showing
you the files and folders in your /home directory, like so:

 $ la ~/.wine/dosdevices
totaal 0
drwxr-xr-x  2 motub users 120 mei 19 22:35 .
drwxr-xr-x  4 motub users 192 mei 15 17:55 ..
lrwxrwxrwx  1 motub users  10 mei  3 13:00 c: -> ../drive_c
lrwxrwxrwx  1 motub users  11 mei 19 22:35 d: -> /home/motub
lrwxrwxrwx  1 motub users   1 mei  3 13:00 z: -> /

As you can see, c: is a link to ~/.wine/drive_c (the ../ indicates that
you move up one level from the level you're currently at); d: is a link
to the user 'motub''s home directory, and z: is a link to the / partition.

Hope this helps,
Holly