[Wine]Re: Start Windows application from another windows application

Rein Klazes wijn at wanadoo.nl
Thu May 19 13:36:47 CDT 2005

On Thu, 19 May 2005 09:21:29 -0700, in gmane.comp.emulators.wine.user
you wrote:

> So I am guessing that your program is trying to run cmd.exe, and
> probably does not find it. I believe there is a Wine equivalent to that
> somewhere, though I am not sure what it is. So probably there needs to
> be a way, when a program tries to execute cmd.exe, to run the Wine
> equivalent.

Wine's equivalent is wcmd.exe. A decent application will inspect the
COMSPEC variable to find the right interpreter (cmd.exe, command.exe or
whatever third party command interpreter). Wine sets this variable, so
such programs will run correctly.

I know of one example, Microsoft's 16 bits Visual C++ IDE, that hard
codes cmd.exe. Creating a link wcmd.exe.so with cmd.exe.so makes that

There are many other ways this program might work that do not use
cmd.exe, of course.

Rein Klazes
rklazes at xs4all.nl