[Wine]Re: 256 colors (8bit) graphics not working

Simon Kellett zoxed_p at arcor.de
Sat May 21 15:25:32 CDT 2005

Hi Holly,

> What video card do you have in there, and what drivers are you using
> to provide 3D acceleration for it?

ASUS V9400-X/TD / Nvidia MX4000. Works fine with the xorg "nv" driver
(AFAIK I have no need for 3D accel: I am not into games or
video). Perhaps I should try the nvidea driver (SUSE did not
recognise/configure my card during the installation so I had to do it by
hand :-(

> I ask because-- as far as I know, if Wine needs to switch color depth,
> it should do that itself... but the proprietary ATI drivers only run
> at 24-bit color depth.

As a test for driver support "startx -- :1 -depth 8" starts OK: my
backup plan is to start a new X server to run the program, but this is
a bit OTT.

I just tried it, but the program now gives a different error !!

X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  1 (X_CreateWindow)
  Serial number of failed request:  58

But thanks for the suggestion,
Simon