[Wine] DCOM98.DLL & DLLOVERRIDES for 0.9 ?

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Wed Nov 2 14:10:01 CST 2005

Hi. I only had wine 20041019 on an FC2 install Had to run winesetuptk to get
a config file, and also thanks to Franks Corner installed DCOM98 and ran the
DLLOVERRIDES stuff. I've now DL'd version 0.9-1 for FC1,2, and 3, also on
Debian with aptitude.  Right. I've installed the .rpm on FC2. Set the windows
version to win98 in winecfg, and that is also set as default to use Alsa. I
installed Madtracker, and it;s installed fine with desktop icon and menu item
that I selected during the install. I'm having problems with other music apps
though. Do I need to install DCOM98 and do the DLLOVERRIDES for ole32.dll,
oleaut32.dll, rpcrt4.dll ? The apps I'm having problems with are.
Mod-Plug-Tracker, which will run if I double click on the .exe in
the /home/user directory, and then open it using wine. It runs just fine, but
does not create any sort of entry in .wine , and I have to start it from
the .exe each time.  Another app that I'd really like to get working is
Making Waves, a step sequencer (licence fee paid) . With version 20041019
this app wouldn't get anywhere. I've actually got a GUI for it on version
0.9-1, but, a big but. this has put it in c:\windows\temp , in a directory
named "ckz.tmp60f" . If I run the install again, it creates a second
directory named ckz.temp but with different suffix No's and letter. All the
stuff for Making Waves seems to be in this directory. .exe , setup.exe ,
libmad.dll , A directory for, and containing vst plugins, and other stuff.
When I run Making Waves from clicking on the .exe, strangely I lose a lot of
stuff out of this directory. Anyway I get a GUI, and after it using 100% cpu
for a considerable time while trying to find sound files, eventually I can
load a track, and get some sounds out of it. Is it perhaps the missing DCOM98
thats stopping this app, and others not being installed properly? Nigel.